About Me

My photo
Johnnesburg, South Africa
I love CREATING tie-dye & batik designs

January 22, 2011

Traditional Dyeing Materials

South Africa does not have traditional dyeing materials. Usually, people use already mixed dyes, implying that the dyes sold are already mixed with the necessary chemicals. As a result, I begun using spices to make dyes. Spices have proved to be better than those already mixed dyes sold in South Africa. I can tell you that spices make very good dyes. I am using just about every food I find in the house. Yesterday, I used tea leaves to dye a fabric. The other day, I used Tumeric, a spice, to dye a t-shirt. You don't have to produce low quality fabrics by using these already mixed dyes. You can simply use various food types in your house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I would like to read more about tie dye, is there a book you can recommend?

Cindy

maria de la rue said...

These are beautiful colours do they take long time to make them
maria